Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A hiatus and a re-birth

After moving from Minnesota to Arkansas and then Louisiana in the early 1990s, I almost lost touch with the spirit of photography.  Making a good living became my focus while the artistic part me took a back seat.  But after a six-year hiatus from the camera, I experienced a "re-birth" when I stumbled across a volume of Brett Weston';s photographs in 1998.  My image-making roots had been formed by the Black & Whites of Eugene Smith, Ansel Adams and Brett's father, Edward.  Seeing those dramatic images, so carefully crafted in highlights and shadows, I could only wish to feel again what I am sure the younger Weston felt when he made those photographs.

The camera came back out; the darkroom was set up again; and my artistic spirit came alive once more with the prospect of capturing more of those special, unique moments in time.  Over the next eight years I mixed some sporadic color work with a predominance of purist monochromatic film-based imagery until I begrudgingly gave in to the digital era.


Desert in the Caribbean, Aruba, 2003


Street corner, Key West, Florida, 2002

Bush Lake, Bloomington, Minnesota, 2002

Beach chairs, resort south of Cancun, Mexico, 2001


Shoreline, Duluth, Minnesota, 2001



Treeline at dawn, near Gull Lake, Minnesota, 1999


Stairway to heaven, Cancun, Mexico, 1998


Reflections of tree branches and sky, Shreveport, Louisiana, 1998


No comments:

Post a Comment